- No virgin birth would have meant that Joseph and Mary were living in sin, having romantic interlude before marriage. Yet, the biblical record shows us that Joseph went to break his betrothal with Mary. So, he hadn’t been involved with her physically, and although still in love, chose to kindly break-up with her instead of handing her over to officials. (Matthew 1, Luke 1)
- No virgin birth, and this break up could have only meant that Mary had been involved with another; An unknown man, making her not only a loose woman, but a cheater, liar, and manipulator.
- No virgin birth, and Mary being pregnant from an unknown man, leaves Jesus to be born as a bastard child. Thus, according to Jewish Law it would be three hundred years before his family lineage would be allowed any form of influence within the community. (Deuteronomy 23:2)
- No virgin birth, leaves Jesus born of an unknown man, illegitimate in his own community, thus inheriting human sin.
- No virgin birth, leaves us a Jesus with sin, holding human personality. And, if He held human personality, then He would need a Savior like everyone else.
Thus, no virgin birth leaves Jesus as illegitimate, a bastard son, conceived in sin, born in sin, sin in Him, a finite personality, not an infinite person, not God, not the second part of the trinity, destroying the very concept of trinity, making the book we call the Bible a lie, and the redemption plan from Genesis to Revelation nonsense.
Deny the virgin birth and sweep away the basis of Christianity.
So, 75% of Americans believe all that? Maybe. But, I would suggest that most Americans believe the virgin birth as a theory but not quite as a fact. They believe it as a, “nativity on the mantle” but not as, “give-my-all-to-Christ” belief. The reason for my assessment resides in choices and behaviors. As noted here, true understanding of the virgin birth predicates everything the Bible commends and every choice a man makes. Thus, any life not completely altered by the virgin birth should draw suspicion.
He was born of a virgin. Proof of God’s love. Celebrate His birthday with joy and commitment. I look forward to worshipping with you this Wednesday evening!